Asbestos was a very popular building material in homes for many years; it does not catch fire easily, is not easily damaged by chemicals and it also blocks noise and insulates buildings. Using asbestos in construction was banned in the United Kingdom in 1999, so if your home was built before this then it may contain some asbestos.
If there is asbestos in your home, this does not always mean there is a problem - there is only a risk if it is damaged, either accidentally or during building work or DIY. If this happens, the asbestos could release fibres into the air and these could harm your health if you breathed them in.
If you believe that there is a problem in your home, you can contact us on 0151 290 7000 and we may conduct a risk assessment in your home. We may be able to seal or cover the asbestos, or remove it if neccessary.
For more information on asbestos please visit the DirectGov website