Go On Knowsley is a part of a national campaign raise awareness of the benefits of life online among the residents of Knowsley and they are dedicated to helping people get online. Can you help too?
Take a look at this video to get more information about the importance od digital inclusion and how you can become a digital champion!
Help someone get online in Knowsley by becoming a Digital Champion!
What do Digital Champions do?
- Inspire people who don’t know about the benefits of the internet to give it a try
- Signpost those people to free Internet training or help them with an online course
- Help these people to get set up with IT
- Show people how to access the internet and its features including virus protection
What skills and personal qualities should digital champions have?
Becoming a digital champion should be really easy and a rewarding experience. It helps if you:
- Have basic computer skills (e.g. be able to turn a PC on, use a mouse, connect to the internet)
- Are confident using the Internet and enthusiastic about the things that the Internet can do
- Can get to know people in order to understand their interests and motivations
- Have the patience to support people who are learning something new
Are interested in working with other digital champions in your community.
What can digital champions do in my community?
You will have your own ideas, but here are some to start you off:
- Get to know your community – actively find out who hasn’t used the internet before
- Familiarise themselves with online services – so that they can talk about them and show people how to use them
- Organise events/sessions to show people something they can do on the Internet e.g. searching on Google/Bing, getting the news, using price comparison sites, researching their family history, using i-player, or listening to music.
How do I get involved?
Please register with Go On Knowsley as a digital champion volunteer and receive information about IT and internet-related volunteering opportunities in Knowsley. For example, you could volunteer as an IT mentor in online centres or your local library, training people in how to access the internet. We will keep you informed about any current or up-and-coming opportunities in your area. To register your interest, please complete the online form.
To help us, please write 'Digital Champion' in the subject field.
We hope you’re inspired to help someone discover the wonders of the web and become a digital champion!
To find out more about Go On Knowsley, please visit: www.go-on.co.uk