We are committed to recovering all debts including rent arrears.
Your tenancy agreement states that you must ensure that you pay your rent on time and that you keep your account up to date. If you fall into rent arrears, you risk action being taken against you and you could lose your home.
What Should I do if I miss a Payment?
If you fall behind with your rent you should contact a member of the rents team immediately on 0151 290 7000, or call into one of our offices and speak to a member of staff.
Please do not ignore the problem - help is available.
We see court and eviction action as a last resort and will offer customers all possible help and assistance in order to resolve the problem.
This help includes:
- Confidential help and advice
- Housing Benefit and welfare benefit advice
- Helping to complete Housing Benefit claim forms and ensuring that forms and supporting documents are passed to Housing Benefits
- Making arrangements with you to clear the arrears
- Helping customers who have difficult debt situations by providing money management advice or referral to specialist debt advice agencies.
What if I fall behind?
If you fall behind with your rent ,we will take the following steps to recover the rent arrears:
- Telephoning you, writing to you or calling at your home
- Debt Recovery Agents
- Asking the DWP to deduct money from your Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance to make payments direct to us
- Legal action which may result in losing your home.
If you have rent arrears, you cannot apply to transfer to another KHT property and if you are applying to buy your own home, this will be reviewed.
If you leave your home and owe rent arrears, court costs or rechargeable repair accounts, we will take you off the housing waiting list.
We vigorously pursue tenants who have left their home with rent arrears and other debts and make referrals on a monthly basis to tracing and collection agencies.