Gas Safety Check


Each year we will send you an appointment to carry out your annual Gas Safety Check. This is to keep you safe in your home by making sure all your gas appliances are working correctly. Help us to ensure you, your family and your neighbours are safe by keeping your Gas Safety Check appointment.

If the appointment we have sent you is not convenient, you can contact us to arrange a different time or date by calling 0151 290 7000 or emailing the Customer Access team: You can also contact the Gas Safety team by writing to them at either our Lakeview or Pagemoss office.

Because of the importance of these tests and checks, tenants need to be aware that they must give us reasonable access to their home to conduct them. Failure to do so is a breach of the terms of their tenancy agreement.

Why does my home need a Gas Safety Check?

As your landlord we have a duty, by law, to annually check all the appliances in our properties. As a tenant you have a duty to provide us with access to carry out these checks. Gas appliances that have not been properly installed, are faulty or poorly maintained can cause gas leaks, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

How often will my home be tested and how much will it cost?

The test is once every year and is absolutely free.

Who will carry out the Gas Safety Check?

KHT will arrange for a Vivark Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out the annual Gas Safety Check every year.

How can I check whether an engineer is qualified to undertake a Gas Safety Check in my home?

All registered engineers carry photo identification cards that identify the appliances on which they are qualified to work. Please check the card carefully before letting anyone begin work on your gas appliances and before allowing them in your home.

What happens if I fail to allow access to my home?

Because gas safety is so important, failure to give KHT reasonable access to your home for the annual Gas Safety Check is classed as a breach of the terms of your tenancy agreement and could result in legal action to force access, or to end your tenancy with KHT. You would also have to repay KHT the cost of any legal action.

How will KHT inform me that the Gas Safety Check is due?

Each year we will send you an appointment letter to inform you of the date of your Gas Safety Check. If the appointment is not convenient, you can contact us to arrange a different time or date.

What gas appliances will KHT service?

KHT will carry out a service on gas appliances we have provided, such as fires and boilers, pipe work and flues in your home. As part of the inspection we will also install, test or replace smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Does KHT have any responsibilities for gas appliances owned by me or another resident?

KHT will help in the following ways:

  • The engineer will service your own gas fire if the manufacturer’s instructions are provided
  • The engineer will make a visual check of your gas cooker, if it is unsafe then it will be disconnected as our engineers cannot knowingly leave you at risk
  • If you have a solid fuel fire such as coal fire or wood burning fire, we will arrange for this to be checked separately from the annual gas servicing programme
  • Unsafe appliances will be disconnected in accordance with Gas Safety Regulations. It is the tenant’s responsibility to maintain and repair their own appliances and have them fully tested. Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer to repair appliances.

What should I do when replacing a gas appliance?

If you want to replace an existing KHT gas appliance with one of your own, please let us know. You will need our permission but we will be happy to advise you before you do the work.

Should I always follow the advice of a Gas Safe registered engineer?

If your engineer recommends that more work needs to be done on your appliance, always follow their advice. If you have doubts over the advice you have been given, contact KHT on 0151 290 7000. You can also contact the Gas Safe Register:

What records do KHT need to keep?

We keep a record of each safety check result for 2 years. We issue a copy of the certificate to the tenant within 28 days of the check being completed. Copies of the certificate are issued to any new tenants before they move in.

Can a room containing a gas appliance still be used as a bedroom?

It is potentially highly dangerous to sleep in a room containing a gas appliance. If a room with a gas appliance needs to be used to sleep in, please contact us urgently for further advice on 0151 290 7000.

What should I do if I suspect a gas leak?

Don’t put your home at risk. If you smell gas or suspect there is a leak, you should:

  • Turn the gas off at the meter
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Do not use any electrical switches and use a naked flame for any purpose
  • Call National Grid Gas Emergency Services on 0800 111 999

It is illegal for anyone to use a gas appliance if they suspect it is unsafe. Turn the appliance off and do not touch it until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.


If you would like
to find out more, call us on

0151 290 7000

ics_member_pr_rgb hca