We’re proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2019 taking place 16th – 22nd September.
Gas Safety Week takes place annually, raising awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It’s coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Carbon Monoxide detectors saves lives
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning, as you cannot see, taste or smell it.
As part of our gas safety best practice, KHT have installed carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in all our homes. KHT engineers carry out full fumes investigations on all CO alarms that activate.
As landlords we’re legally responsible for the safety of our tenants. We must ensure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by our KHT Gas Safe registered engineer. We encourage you to check our engineer’s identity card before letting them into your home. By allowing us to take care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones.
Follow these simple checks to keep you and your family safe:
- Never try to repair your boiler yourself – contact us to fit, fix and service your appliances. KHT engineers are Gas Safe registered. Don’t forget to check the front and back of their Gas Safe Register ID card which confirms they are qualified to carry out the work
- Make sure you regularly test your alarm. KHT homes with gas appliances will have an audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarm fitted to alert you if there is carbon monoxide present.
- Don’t forget to set annual reminders – Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
- Check for warning signs that could indicate appliances are not working correctly. Signs may include lazy yellow/orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999 or KHT 0151 290 7000.
For gas safety advice and to find or check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website: GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline: 0800 408 5500.
Only a Gas Safe registered engineer can fit, fix or service your gas appliances safely and legally. Stay safe and help your loved ones stay safe in their homes too.
For more information visit www.GasSafetyWeek.co.uk
Remember: If your CO alarm goes off or you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, call 0800 111 999 or KHT: 0151 290 7000.